Where is Guelph? | Ultimate University Guide
Arry Pandher - April 4th, 2022
Written by Arry Pandher and Lyza Tibunsay
So, where is Guelph? Keep reading to find out!
The University of Guelph is one of Canada’s leading innovation and comprehensive post-secondary institutions. They are known for excellence in the arts and sciences and for their commitment to developing exceptional thinkers and engaged citizens. 🚀
Want to apply to Guelph? Check out our guide!
Where is Guelph?
- Their campuses reside on the treaty lands of the Mississaugas of the Credit and lands that the Anishinaabe, Hodinohso:ni, Lūnaapéewak and Wendat peoples have inhabited for centuries. They understand that these lands are connected by the Dish with One Spoon Wampum and continue to be home to diverse communities of First Nations, Inuit and Métis Peoples. This is their commitment to reconcile with Indigenous peoples and lands.
- When you enter the main entranceway of Guelph, you will be greeted by their giant bronze statue, the Gryphon. “The Gryphon is a strange hybrid creature, like mathematics and literature, logic and nonsense, academia and popular culture, eagle and lion.” This was made possible through the efforts of the Ontario Veterinary College class of 1956, with alumnus Bob Liptrap and former OVC dean Ole Nielsen playing a lead role in pushing the project.
- The University’s welcome message would be: expect the unexpected. At the University of Guelph, education is a transformative experience.” 📚 🤸🏻♀️
Book a virtual or in-person tour now to familiarize yourself with the campus!
Things to Do Around the University of Guelph
The city of Guelph is a vibrant community situated in the heart of southern Ontario, just 100 km west of Toronto. It is a beautiful city that is known for its limestone architecture, dynamic culture, and high standard of living. It was even voted as one of the country’s best cities to live in! 🌃
Here are the things you could do when you want to unwind and relax after hours of studying!
- Explore the City When you feel tired or burnout from studying, you can explore downtown to unwind! It is where you’ll find all the best places for Guelph eats, nightlife, fun, and more! 🍔 🍹👯♀️🎉
- Explore Royal City Park & Riverside Park If you want to stay grounded and connect with nature, you can take a walk in these parks’ trails, as well as enjoy live music, a playground area, sports fields, and more. 🏞
- Visit the Art Gallery of Guelph Located just right beside the University of Guelph campus, you can enjoy and appreciate different kinds of art in this gallery! 🎨
- Unleash your Sporty Side Visit the Sleeman Centre Arena and cheer on the Guelph Storm! 🏒
- Involve Yourself in the Community The city of Guelph has a tight-knit community, and there are always different events where you can engage with others and enjoy not just your university life. Whether you’re into arts, music, or food, there are tons of activities you can do or enjoy in the community! Click here if you want to know more. 🌇
Want more adventure? Here are the other attractions you can visit near the campus! 👀
- Physics Observatory Telescope
- University of Guelph Arboretum
- Guelph Civic Museum
- Guelph Market Square
- Basilica of Our Lady Immaculate
- Rockwood Conservation Area
- Emerald Lake Waterpark
Wayfinding around the University of Guelph 🚍 🚖 🚉
Scared to lose your way while going to the university? You don’t have to worry, as there are different transportations available!
- All students automatically pay a set fee for unlimited use of the Guelph Transit bus system. The fee is paid along with your other fees to the University of Guelph.
- Your Student ID Card serves as your bus pass – just show the valid sticker on the front, and you can ride anywhere in Guelph. You will receive your bus sticker during the first week of classes. During the week before classes start, there is a grace period, and students can ride the bus for free without having a sticker as long as you show your Student ID card.
- You will receive a bus Route and Schedule Guide in the free agenda planner that the Central Students Association gives to all students during the first week of classes. You can also see all the bus routes and schedules online.
- Via Rail is the main passenger train service for getting around Canada and makes connections to Amtrak, the United States rail service. You can purchase train tickets directly online through ViaRail or at the ViaRail station in downtown Guelph. You can get a discount on the price of train fare if you have an International Student Identity Card (ISIC), which is also available for free to all University of Guelph students through the Central Students Association office.
- Greyhound Canada offers a cross-Canada bus service. The Greyhound buses pick up passengers at several locations in Guelph, including the University and the downtown bus station. You can purchase Greyhound bus tickets online or at the Information Desk on the first floor of the University Centre. You can also save on the Greyhound bus fare if you have an ISIC card!
Travelling from Waterloo International Airport or Kitchener/Waterloo Airport (YKF) to the University of Guelph 🛫
- The nearest airport to the University of Guelph is Kitchener (YKF). However, there are better options for getting to the University of Guelph. You can take a bus from Toronto (YYZ) to the University of Guelph via Square One and the University of Guelph in around 2h 11m.
Need More Support?
Now that we’ve answered your question (“Where is Guelph?”), we’d like yo let you know that GrantMe has helped countless students get admitted to their dream schools. If you’d like to know more about how GrantMe can support your goal of getting into the University of Guelph, start by taking our quiz now to see if you qualify! 🚀
Your next home awaits you, future Gryphon! Soon, you’ll be part of the unforgettable U of G experience! 🏡 🎒📚
Start Winning Scholarships Today
Queen's offers several Entrance Awards to exceptional students entering their first year of…Read Article >
York University is widely regarded as one of the best schools in the…Read Article >
The University of Victoria is one of Canada's leading research-intensive universities. Located on…Read Article >
The University of Guelph's software engineering program is designed to provide students with…Read Article >
The University of Calgary offers a world-class education in software engineering. Students in…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran At the University of Saskatchewan, Health…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran The School of Rehabilitation Science at…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Everything we do involves data and…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Universities provide educational programs and services…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran At Toronto Metropolitan University Business Management,…Read Article >
Written by Akim Hermoso and Matthew Tran Studying at Toronto Metropolitan University’s Faculty…Read Article >
Written by Akim Hermoso and Matthew Tran Toronto Metropolitan University’s Aerospace Engineering program…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Is the Engineering program at Waterloo…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Rotman Commerce is looking for exceptional…Read Article >
Written by Aly Tagamolila and Matthew Tran The McMaster Health Sciences Supplementary Application…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Do you want to learn how…Read Article >