How to Get into UVIC | Ultimate University Guide
Arry Pandher - May 30th, 2022
Dynamic learning, research with a vital impact, and an extraordinary academic environment give The University of Victoria an edge that can’t be found anywhere else! If you’d like to know how to get into UVic, keep reading!
The University of Victoria is one of Canada’s leading research-intensive universities, located in Victoria, on the BC coast. They are widely recognized for leadership in research, inspired teaching, and community engagement.
Ranking highlights include:
#1 Among Canadian comprehensive universities for preparing career-ready students**. (**2019 Times Higher Education Global University Employability Ranking)
#1 among comprehensive universities in medical/science grants per faculty (Maclean’s 2020)
#3 among all Canadian universities in citation impact per faculty member (QS rankings, 2021)
#4 in the Air and Climate category of the 2019 Sustainable Campus Index, compiled by the International Association for Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE), and Gold Certified in AASHE’s Sustainability Tracking, Assessment and Rating System.
We have helped countless students apply to and get into UVic. If you’d like to know more about the admission requirements and English Language requirements to get into UVic, check out the full video below!
We’ll be discussing admission requirements for Canadian high school students. If you’re a mature, or international student, your admission requirements may vary, so make sure to check out the UVic website for more insight!
Now, the admission requirements for your studies at UVic will vary depending on what program you choose to enter!
Below is a handy chart that will show you which admission requirements you will need, based on the program you want to get into and the province that you are from.
- Please note that Grade 11 courses are listed in black; grade 12 courses are listed in blue; and supplemental applications are listed in red.
The estimated successful admission average for most UVic programs is 80%! However, for a competitive average, we recommend hitting the 90s range to increase your chances of getting into UVic, and to also increase your entrance scholarship appeal!
To ensure you’re at a good academic standing upon admission, make sure to practice good study habits, and organize your time wisely!
English language requirement
All applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency in order to attend UVic.
You’ve already met this requirement if you studied full-time for at least four years within Canada in an academic program at the high school or post-secondary level for at least four years, and all of your instruction was in English!
If you need to demonstrate proof of language proficiency, you can do so through academic studies, English language proficiency tests, or programs offered by UVic’s English Language Centre.
After you apply to UVic, your language-proficiency deadline will be indicated in your online application checklist.
English language proficiency can be demonstrated through academic studies as follows:
- completion of four years of full-time academic studies in which all language of instruction is English, at a high school or post-secondary institution in a recognized English-speaking country
- completion of a recognized degree program from an accredited university in which all language of instruction is English, in a recognized English-speaking country
- completion of Grade 12 English or its equivalent in Canada with a final grade of 86% or higher within the last three years prior to admission
- a score of 86% or higher on the BC Provincial Grade 12 English Examination within the last three years prior to admission
- completion of 1.5 or more units of transfer credit for university-level English courses (excluding ENGL 181 and 182)
- a score of 4 or higher on the Advanced Placement Exam in English Language and Composition
- a score of 4 or higher on IB Higher Level English A
English language proficiency tests
- All test scores must be sent directly to UVic from the testing organization.
- They will not accept unofficial test scores or tests taken more than two years before your application to UVic
English Language Centre programs
English language proficiency can also be demonstrated through successful completion of one of the following programs offered by UVic’s English Language Centre:
- University Admission Preparation (UAP) program, with a score of 80% or higher
- University Admission Preparation: Advanced English and Canadian Studies program, with scores of 80% or higher in English and 60% or higher in Canadian Studies
- University Pathway Program for International Students
If you’re applying to a program offered by Engineering, Fine Arts (Art History and Visual Studies only), Humanities, Science or Social Sciences, you may be offered conditional admission. You’ll be permitted to register for degree courses during the usual registration time period, but you must satisfy the English language proficiency requirement by the date specified in your offer email.
You can qualify for conditional admission if you do one of the following:
- Provide a CAEL score of 60 with no section less than 50.
- Provide an IELTS score of 6.0 with no component less than 5.5.
- Provide a TOEFL score of at least 79 on the iBT (internet-based test) with at least 17 on each section, or 550 on the PBT (paper-based test).
- Register in the university admission preparation course.
Note: They will not consider tests taken more than two years before your application.
English Language Centre preliminary admission:
If you’re applying to Humanities, Science or Social Sciences, ELC preliminary admission will give you up to 24 months to satisfy the English language proficiency requirement and then begin degree studies without re-applying.
You can qualify by registering in the Intensive English Program (ELPI) at UVic’s English Language Centre (ELC). Offers will only be made to applicants who have submitted final official transcripts.
Some applicants who qualify for ELC preliminary admission may also be appropriate candidates for the university pathway program for international students.
Contact the English Language Centre for more information.
Need Support Getting Into UVic?
GrantMe has been able to help countless students get into their dream schools! If you’d like to know more about how GrantMe can support your goal of getting admitted into a top university in Canada, like UVic, you can start by taking our quiz to see if you qualify!
Join The GrantMe Program