McMaster Engineering: Overview
Arry Pandher - April 6th, 2022
McMaster Engineering is one of the top 3 Engineering Schools in Ontario!
At McMaster, they teach you how to be an engineer who can easily adapt to any situation, find solutions to real-world problems, and truly thrive in today’s dynamic technology-based economy.
With a focus on experiential, collaborative and project-based learning, McMaster Engineering students take real problems in society and learn the technical and teamwork skills to solve them.
Interested in applying for the McMaster Engineering program? Then keep on reading!
Why Choose McMaster Engineering?
McMaster Engineering offers students more than a best-in-class degree! They offer experiences that help create global-ready, socially aware citizens through project-based classes, flexible co-op work terms, research opportunities and dozens of clubs and teams.
Things to Know About The McMaster Engineering Program:
- 16 McMaster Engineering disciplines have ranked among the best in the world
- There is a 96.5% student success rate in the first year
- Common first year: In first year, you will be given the time, support, and resources to select your best-fit program of choice for second year and beyond.
- Customizable co-op: the program’s flexible co-op program that allows you to design your own degree.
- Research-intensive: McMaster Engineering is the largest undergraduate research program in Canada with 500+ research assistant, teaching assistant, or technical assistant opportunities available.
- Community: 60 Engineering clubs, teams and societies come together as one #FireballFamily to learn through cooperation, not competition.
- Diversity: McMaster believes that engineering is for everyone. In Fall 2020, female students accounted for more than 30% of their incoming class.
First-Year Courses at McMaster Engineering
Some of the courses you can expect to take within your first year in McMaster Engineering include:
- General Chemistry for Engineering (CHEM 1E03)
- Engineering Mathematics (MATH 1ZA3, 1ZB3, 1ZC3)
- Waves, Electricity, and Magnetic Fields (PHYSICS 1E03)
- Introductory to Mechanics (PHYSICS 1D03)
- Integrated Cornerstone Design Projects in Engineering (ENGINEER 1P13)
- 6 units of electives
Then, at the end of Engineering I, students select one of the following disciplines for their second year! Click on the links for more info!:
- Chemical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering & Bioengineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Engineering Physics
- Materials Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mechatronics Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Engineering & Management
- Engineering & Society
How To Apply For McMaster Engineering
Before you apply for the program, you’ll need to see if you meet the admission requirements first!
Completion of High School Diploma plus four Grade 12 academic courses will be required, including:
- English (English Studies 12, English 12 or English 12 First Peoples)
- Calculus (Calculus 12 or AP Calculus)
- Chemistry (Chemistry 12)
- Physics (Physics 12)
You will also need above an 87% GPA in order to be considered for the program!
- You must submit first semester grades, and a list of all courses for the entire year, no later than February 15th!
- Approved Grade 12 Academic Courses:
- Courses under applied design, skills and technologies, career education, physical and health education, and faith-based courses are not acceptable, with the exception of Economics 12
Apply on OUAC:
You apply online for McMaster Engineering at the Ontario Universities Application Centre’s (OUAC) website.
Follow these steps:
- Watch the how-to videos supplied by OUAC.
- Include a valid and unique e-mail address that only you can access/use. McMaster and many Ontario universities use e-mail to send important information.
- Add @mcmaster.ca to your safe sender/trusted list on your e-mail client to ensure our messages are not marked as spam.
- Apply before the recommended deadline (January 13) to ensure your application is processed without delays.
- Applying beyond January 13 (via OUAC) is still possible to programs that do not have a mandatory supplementary application deadline that has passed.
- Adding/changing a McMaster program choice after January is also possible via OUAC.
- Submit a Supplementary Application
- If you are required to submit an English Language Proficiency test result, please upload it directly on your application portal prior to April 1, 2022.
Make sure you submit your application by the following deadlines!
Admission Decision Timing:
OUAC 101 applicants will hear back between March and May. OUAC 105 applicants will hear back normally between four or five weeks after all supporting/required documentation noted on McMaster’s Applicant Portal is marked as “Completed.
While you wait to hear back about your application, you can:
- Check out McMaster’s Mosaic Applicant Portal for specific updates to your file or the Future Students Website for general updates.
- Follow McMaster Admissions (@MacAdmit) on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook
- Visit McMaster for a Tour
- Visit Student Accessibility Services if you have questions about supports for students with disabilities.
NOTE: You must accept your offer by June 1 for current, full-time Ontario secondary school students or the deadline listed on your offer letter.
- You can view and download your admission decision letter on McMaster’s Applicant Portal.
- All admissions decisions will be made no later than end of May.
- Students must complete the following conditions by June 30 (or the specific date listed on McMaster’s offer of admission letter):
- Complete the required courses for the McMaster Engineering program
- Complete your Secondary School Diploma (and its associated requirements).
- Maintain the minimum average noted on your offer of admission letter.
- Accept your offer on OUAC by the deadline listed on your offer of admission letter
McMaster Engineering Scholarships
The tuition for Engineering programs may seem a little daunting — the tuition for the McMaster Engineering program, on average for Canadian Students, is about $12,446.06.
However, there is good news! The Faculty of Engineering offers over $1,000,000+ in entrance scholarships and research awards to students entering a Level 1 Faculty of Engineering program. Only one application is required to be considered for all eligible awards!
All Faculty of Engineering application-based scholarship winners will also receive a Research Experience Award valued at $6,000, the summer after first year. Learn more here!
- Application deadline: February 12th
- Scholarships available include Dean’s Excellence Awards and Big Ideas Awards, as well as scholarships for participation in organizations like SHAD, FIRST Robotics, and DECA. Open to both domestic and international students. See full details here!
Want to secure your spot in the McMaster Engineering Program?
If you’re feeling overwhelmed about the admissions process and would like to know how to apply to McMaster with unlimited support, you’ve come to the right place! Take our FREE quiz to see if you qualify for GrantMe in just a few minutes.
Join The GrantMe Program