What is Education Consulting?
Fernanda Munoz - June 1st, 2023
After the end of the pandemic, amid economic inflation, one thing that keeps increasing is the desire to attend higher education. According to a study by Common Application, the number of applications sent has increased by more than 30% since 2020, making the application process more competitive each year.
The acceptance rate for Canadian universities ranges from 14% up to 45%. While universities keep trying to catch up with the demand, their reaction will not be fast enough to accommodate the growing number of applicants.
University applications in Canada keep evolving to accommodate the higher demand, which means that admission committees are looking at a range of new requirements, such as grades, extracurriculars, personal statements, and interpersonal skills.
The prestige and reputation of the top Canadian Universities also keep getting better, as mentioned in the 2023 Canadian Universities ranking by BeMO, with the University of Toronto sitting at 18th place worldwide.
Canada has also become a desirable destination for international students thanks to Canada’s migration programs and the prestige of holding a Canadian degree.
Once students decide they want to attend post-secondary education. It is recommended that they pick the top institutions and programs they want to apply for. Before sending an application, students need to review the requirement and see if they are eligible.
Each institution has its own entrance requirement, which might vary according to the province, program, and high school career. The requirements typically involve submitting transcripts, test scores, personal statements, and other supporting documents, as well as paying an application fee.
The grade average students graduate with is important, but it is just as important to look at the classes they took in their last two years of high school to ensure they align with their desired program.
The way they send their application to their desired institution will also change according to the province. Some of them, like Ontario, use a central application service that they can use to apply to different institutions and keep track of each application. In other cases, they will need to apply to each university individually. Whether required to use an application service or not, they will be expected to write different essays for each application.
The essays you will write are meant to allow students to show their characters and their extracurriculars and volunteer experiences. In this process, university committees seek a well-rounded student committed to helping others while pursuing excellence and critical thinking.
While applications for each university open in October and November, it is crucial to start planning for this as soon as two years in advance to ensure students have the right specialization in high school and meet the profile expected by the schools.
Education consulting is a relatively new service that emerged as a response to the increasing competitiveness of student applications around the 2000s. This field supports students, parents, and educational institutions in navigating the educational landscape.
Educational consultants work with students, parents, and schools to enhance educational experiences, facilities, and results. They provide direct feedback to educators and may specialize in certain areas, such as special education or international education.
Education consultants advise clients on various educational needs and services, such as reviewing new educational tools or working closely with parents to ensure they know how to support their students during the college application and planning process.
Educational consultants may also be involved in school turnaround initiatives, creating plans to improve academic development, addressing student drop-out rates, and developing curricula for educational initiatives.
Some of the most commonly provided services by education consultants include:
- Academic advising: Consultants guide students and parents on course selection, study strategies, and academic planning to ensure success in their educational pursuits.
- College application assistance: To help students navigate the college application process, providing support with essay writing, application completion, and interview preparation.
- Career counselling: Education consultants provide guidance on career exploration, job search strategies, and professional development to help students and professionals make informed decisions about their career paths.
- Instructional design and implementation: Consultants work with school districts to identify instructional challenges and develop student-centred approaches to address them. This includes is typically done in community presentations and collaboration with counsellors.
- Personalized and blended learning: Education consultants help districts develop and implement personalized learning strategies that empower students to take ownership of their learning and receive the instruction they need in the most effective way possible.
- Organizational strategy: Education consultants assist districts in identifying core challenges, discovering new possibilities through human-centred design, and ensuring successful implementation through responsive planning.
- Leadership strategy: Consultants work with educational leaders to hone, articulate, and make their visions a reality, fostering collaboration and leveraging deep expertise in the field.
- Surveys and analytics: Education consultants utilize data-driven approaches to assess the effectiveness of instructional practices, identify areas for improvement, and inform decision-making processes.
To provide effective and sustainable solutions, education consultants must approach each partnership with a deep understanding of the unique culture and context of the district or institution they are working with. By leading with equity and leveraging their extensive toolkit of resources and technology, consultants can help educational leaders achieve their goals and create lasting, positive change in their communities. As the industry continues to evolve, education consultants will play an increasingly important role in shaping the future of education and learning.
Join The GrantMe Program