How to Get into SFU | Ultimate University Guide
Arry Pandher - February 6th, 2022
If you’ve ever looked into going into a university in BC, you’ve probably come upon SFU! SFU has 3 campuses in BC, and are known for their Computer Science program and sustainability! If you’d like to know how to get into SFU, check out our latest Ultimate University Guide youtube video!
General Admission Requirements
In order to get into SFU, you must first complete the General Admission Requirements! SFU has 3 distinct General Admission Requirements.
- A minimum of five approved Grade 12 courses, including English Studies 12 (min 70%) or equivalent.
- English language requirement
- Quantitative and analytical skills requirement
For more information on which courses SFU approves, use their Undergraduate Admission Compass tool (as demonstrated in our video guide above)!
English Language Requirement
SFU is a university that intakes thousands of students from all over the world, so it only makes sense to have several different means to complete the English Language Requirement!
If you are a Canadian high school student who has completed their high school diploma in Canada, you automatically completed your English language requirement! Check it out:
“Completion of the last three (3) years of full-time secondary school education in English in Canada”
Lucky you! However, if you don’t fit within this criteria, check out the 10 other ways you can complete this requirement!
- Completion of the last three (3) years of full-time secondary school education in English in a country in which the principal language of instruction is English
- Completion of the last four (4) years of full-time secondary school education in English at a recognized international school in a country in which the principal language of instruction is not English
- Completion of IB Diploma Program including English A (HL/SL) or English Literature and Performance (SL)
- Completion of a three unit English (ENGL) course or a certified W (writing intensive) course for which SFU grants transfer credit
- Completion of SFU’s English Language and Culture (ELC) Low Advanced Level
You can also take one of the following English Language Proficiency tests!
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS – Academic or IELTS Indicator) with a minimum overall band score of 6.5 with no part less than 6.0.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language internet based test (TOEFL iBT) with an overall score of 88 or better with a minimum score of 20 in each of the four components (listening, speaking, writing, reading)
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) with an overall score of 70, with no part less than 60.
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) with an overall score of 65, and a minimum score of 60 in the Communicative Skills, including: Listening, Reading, Speaking, Writing.
- Duolingo English Test (DET) with an overall score of 125 or better.
Quantitative and Analytical Skills Requirement
- A minimum grade of 60% or C in a senior level math course or precalculus
- A minimum score of 3 in IB Mathematics (HL/SL), Mathematics Analysis and Approaches (HL/SL), Mathematics Applications or Interpretations (HL/SL) or Math Studies (SL)
- A minimum D grade in GCE A or AS level math; or a minimum C- grade in GCSE O-level math
- A grade of C- or better in a 3-unit math or certified Q (quantitative) course that transfers to SFU (for college and university transfer students).
If you’re looking for specific eligibility requirements for an SFU program, try using their Undergraduate Admission Compass tool! By using this tool, you can select your province, year of entry, and the grade 11 and 12 courses that you have taken for an insight on which SFU programs are best for you! If you’d like an example for SFU’s Arts and Social Sciences faculty, check out our youtube video where we go through all the requirements!
Need support to get into SFU?
GrantMe has admitted countless students into their dream schools. If you’d like to know more about how GrantMe can support your goal of getting into SFU, start by taking our quiz to see if you qualify!
Join The GrantMe Program
Queen's offers several Entrance Awards to exceptional students entering their first year of…Read Article >
York University is widely regarded as one of the best schools in the…Read Article >
The University of Victoria is one of Canada's leading research-intensive universities. Located on…Read Article >
The University of Guelph's software engineering program is designed to provide students with…Read Article >
The University of Calgary offers a world-class education in software engineering. Students in…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran At the University of Saskatchewan, Health…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran The School of Rehabilitation Science at…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Everything we do involves data and…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Universities provide educational programs and services…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran At Toronto Metropolitan University Business Management,…Read Article >
Written by Akim Hermoso and Matthew Tran Studying at Toronto Metropolitan University’s Faculty…Read Article >
Written by Akim Hermoso and Matthew Tran Toronto Metropolitan University’s Aerospace Engineering program…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Is the Engineering program at Waterloo…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Rotman Commerce is looking for exceptional…Read Article >
Written by Aly Tagamolila and Matthew Tran The McMaster Health Sciences Supplementary Application…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Do you want to learn how…Read Article >