How to get into UBC: Faculty of Science
Noor Anwar - November 12th, 2021
Written by Stephanie Pugh
Interested in applying to the UBC Faculty of Science? Keep reading!
The UBC Faculty of Science is a strong community of students and scholars who are internationally recognized for their commitment to discovery and innovation— both in the lab and in the classroom!
Ranked among the world’s top 40 universities, UBC research prowess in environmental science, math, physics, plant and animal science, computer science, oceanography, geology and biology is consistently rated best in Canada by international and national rankings.
UBC Faculty of Science – Admission Requirements
In order to get into any of the programs within the UBC Faculty of Science, you must fulfill these general requirements based on your high school grades, language requirements, and classes:
- English language requirement
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are nine different ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
- General admission requirements
- Graduation from high school
- Minimum of 70% in Grade 11 or Grade 12 English (or their equivalents)
- At least six academic/non-academic Grade 12 courses (recommended, but not required)
- Science Program requirements
Then, if you want to attend a program in the Science Faculty, you will need to meet these program-specific requirements!
- Grade 12 requirements
- ENG4U (English)
- MHF4U (Advanced Functions) (minimum 67%)
- SBI4U (Biology), SCH4U (Chemistry), or SPH4U (Physics)
- Grade 11 requirements
- SCH3U (Chemistry)
- SPH3U (Physics) (may be waived with scores of 86% or higher in senior-level Math and Chemistry)
- Related courses
The following subject categories are particularly relevant for this degree. Consider taking courses in these areas in Grade 11 and Grade 12.
- Language Arts
- Mathematics and Computation
Grade Average Needed for UBC Science
Students applying to get into UBC should have a minimum of 70% in Grade 11 or Grade 12 English (or their equivalents). However, given the competitive nature of UBC Science and its applicants, you should be aiming well above 70%! For a competitive average, we recommend hitting the high 80s to 90s range to increase your chances of getting into UBC. To ensure you’re at a good academic standing, develop good study habits, and learn to organize your time!
Now that you’re familiar with all that UBC Science has to offer, you can begin the admissions process.
The admissions process is managed by the Undergraduate Admissions Office of Enrolment Services on behalf of UBC Science, via the you.ubc.ca portal. Email communication will be important, so you will need to provide an email address that you check regularly as directed during the application process.
- Be sure to keep your email account active and don’t let your mailbox fill up! The Undergraduate Admissions Office will send you many important messages, each of which will require a timely response.
Although the deadline to submit an application is January, in most cases you will be supplying academic records after that time.
- Personal Profile
Applications will not be considered complete until you also answer the Personal Profile questions!
Grades are one indicator of academic preparation, however, the Personal Profile is your chance to give UBC additional evidence of what you have learned about the world and yourself both in and out of school, and other indicators of suitability for study in the BSc!
Each of the Personal Profile questions requires short essay responses, so you’ll want to think about your answers before you start your online application. Here are three tips to keep in mind:
- Take time to reflect. Instead of simply listing your accomplishments and experiences, tell UBC what you’ve learned from them.
- Be specific. Use details to provide context and elaborate on your answers.
- Be true to who you are. Don’t focus on what you think UBC wants to hear. Use your unique voice to tell them about who you are and how that would make you a great fit for UBC Science.
Need Support to Get into UBC Science?
If you want guidance to make your personal profile stand out, and get into UBC Science, then you’ve come to the right place! Take our FREE quiz to see if you qualify for GrantMe in just a few minutes.
Start Winning Scholarships Today