Western Ivey HBA AEO Supplementary Application
Matthew Tran - January 29th, 2022
Written by Fernanda Munoz and Matthew Tran
Western Ivey HBA AEO is something thousands of Canadian students prepare for every year. The Ivey School of Business is the business school of the University of Western Ontario. It offers its students a combination of their five core values called their Leadership Essentials:
- Persuasive communication
- Maximization of Team Potential
- Taking Action
- Setting Priorities
- Managing Complexity
The integration of these element is what sets Ivey and the Ivey Honours Business Administration (HBA) Program unique in their field. Ivey is interested in encouraging its students to think outside of the box and innovate within their field.
As part of the HBA Ivey program, your technical knowledge of business will be strong and competitive with that of other prestigious schools, however you will be set apart by these set of strengths and skills. Ivey will help you develop these five skills that will help you be an effective leader and have a successful career.
Western Ivey HBA Program
Ivey’s undergraduate business program is design to provide students with the opportunity to explore as many different career paths as possible.
The encourage students to explore their different passions beyond the classroom and beyond the boardroom. Here, you will be free to create and discover who you want to be and which path you want to follow.
What makes the Ivey HBA Program stand out?
When you sit in an Ivey classroom, you will be surrounded by some of the most accomplished, engaged and talented people in the filed. This will motivate and inspire you to further engage with their community.
- ROGRAM STRUCTURE
The 2+2 program structure that the Ivey HBA offers , will give you the opportunity to explore your academic skills and interests before considering specific career options.
- CASE STUDIES
Ivey is one of a select few undergraduate business programs committed to the case-method of learning. This means that you won’t just listen to lectures and take notes, but you will also experience more than 400 real-world business cases during your time at Ivey.
- CAREER MANAGEMENT
Ivey will grant you access to multiple resources to help you explore you career options, choose a personalized plan that will help you achieve your goals, and develop a strategy.
Ivey Advanced Entry Opportunity (AEO)
The Ivey Advanced Entry Opportunity (AEO) extends conditional, pre-admission status to the HBA Program to exceptional high school students.
Ivey AEO status is available to students who choose to study at Western or one of its affiliated university colleges (in a faculty of their choice) for their first two years of university.
A competitive Western Ivey HBA AEO application includes:
- Strong Academics
93%+ average in your best Grade 12 high school courses, including English.
Completion of a mathematics course for university-bound students.
Demonstrated leadership in extracurricular activities, community involvement, and work experience.
Application for Ivey AEO Status
To apply for Ivey AEO status:
- Apply for admission to Western through the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC).
- Choose any academic program or module at Western for your first two years of university study. Please ensure you indicate your intention to apply for the Ivey AEO status on your OUAC application by clicking ‘yes’ on the radio button stating ‘Ivey Advanced Entry Opportunity’. The Ivey AEO is a status rather than a program choice you make and requires you to complete a separate application (see below).
- Complete an Ivey AEO Application. Create a Username and Password to begin or update your existing application (please do not use your high school email address).
Western Ivey HBA AEO Supplementary Application
For your supplementary application, you will need to answer the following question with an essay.
Consider all the extracurricular activities (community involvement, paid and/or volunteer work experience, entrepreneurial ventures), that you have been involved in during the past four years. Select two (2) activities that you feel demonstrate your leadership abilities best. Focus your description on elements that demonstrate: leadership, teamwork, initiative, achievement, commitment and breadth. Each description should focus on one activity only (500 words).
How to write this response successfully?
- You want to pick out examples that highlight your leadership and community service. To make it more impressive to the committee, make sure to communicate how you want to continue creating positive change to society!
- Western University loves to see their applicants show their desire to continue impacting society through excellence in education and research. As such, you want to pick out relevant, impactful research, community work, and leadership experiences to garner the most points!
- Make sure to use the STAR model here. Pick out your 2 most impactful leadership experiences you have been involved in.
- Situation (who, what, when, where): This is where you give context to your readers and introduce them into your world.
- Task (your objective): Show your goals and make sure to explain the reason why you decided to get involved in the experience you decided to talk about. This will show your values and interests.
- Action (what you did, how you did it, skills you used): This is the most important part of your essay, this will be where you get to show (not tell) your skills and action steps.
- Results (qualitative or quantitative proof of your success): You can talk about the impact your actions had on the community, but you should also mention the impact that your actions had on your team and on yourself.
- When picking out an experience, you want to ensure that you are demonstrating:
- teamwork (e.g., working with a others to achieve a common goal)
- initiative (e.g., creating new event or program to address an issue)
- achievement (e.g., leading a team to win a game, score top grades in class project)
- commitment (e.g., declaring a value and committing to it in your actions)
- breadth (e.g., leading in a wide variety of experiences)
Is Ivey HBA the Best Fit for You?
Join The GrantMe Program
Queen's offers several Entrance Awards to exceptional students entering their first year of…Read Article >
York University is widely regarded as one of the best schools in the…Read Article >
The University of Victoria is one of Canada's leading research-intensive universities. Located on…Read Article >
The University of Guelph's software engineering program is designed to provide students with…Read Article >
The University of Calgary offers a world-class education in software engineering. Students in…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran At the University of Saskatchewan, Health…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran The School of Rehabilitation Science at…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Everything we do involves data and…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Universities provide educational programs and services…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran At Toronto Metropolitan University Business Management,…Read Article >
Written by Akim Hermoso and Matthew Tran Studying at Toronto Metropolitan University’s Faculty…Read Article >
Written by Akim Hermoso and Matthew Tran Toronto Metropolitan University’s Aerospace Engineering program…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Is the Engineering program at Waterloo…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Rotman Commerce is looking for exceptional…Read Article >
Written by Aly Tagamolila and Matthew Tran The McMaster Health Sciences Supplementary Application…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Do you want to learn how…Read Article >