Where is UVIC | Ultimate University Guide
Arry Pandher - May 30th, 2022
When researching great universities, the University of Victoria is surely one that stands out! It is the oldest post-secondary institution in British Columbia, and it has an amazing campus that lives up to its rich history! So … where is UVic?
Where is UVic Located?
With a total area of 403 acres (163 ha) on its main site alone, the UVic campus lies on the border between the municipalities of Oak Bay and Saanich, divided almost perfectly down the centre of campus (with the northeast half being located in Saanich and the southwest half in Oak Bay).
In simpler terms, the campus is located in Victoria, on the BC coast. Victoria is situated on the southern tip of Vancouver Island!
How Do I Get to Campus?
As the University of Victoria is a destination point for upwards of 20,000 individuals on any given day, there are a multitude of options available to get you to the campus. Walking is a popular choice for those living a short distance from the campus!
With subsidized bus passes for qualifying employees and a subsidized bus pass for all students, UVic has the second most active transit hub in Greater Victoria. There are eight different transit routes that access the University!
Victoria is also well known for its extensive cycling routes and wonderful scenery. A number of cycling routes access the university. Bike racks are located adjacent to every building on the campus and a small U-fixit area has been provided beside the north doors of the Parkade at the UVic Centre. How convenient!
If you are driving to the university, there are 16 parking lots located on campus with more than 4,000 parking stalls. Centrally located lots experience the highest occupancy, however, there are always parking stalls available at the outer lot that are usually empty!
There is no fixed connection (bridge or roadway) connecting Vancouver Island to mainland BC. Here are three ways you can travel to the island and get to campus!:
- Travel By Sea There is a regularly scheduled ferry service from Vancouver and the Gulf Islands. You can find these services at: bcferries.com, bcfconnector.com. There are also ferries that run from Washington State, which you can find at: cohoferry.com, wsdot.wa.gov/ferries).
- Travel By Air The Victoria International Airport serves flights from Vancouver, Seattle, and many other locations! Floatplane services also connect Victoria with Seattle and Vancouver.
- Travel By Land You can also get to the island by using these Bus or Bicycle services!
Here are Common Directions if you are Traveling from:
Vancouver to UVIC
- Ferry or driving:
- Take the Swartz Bay ferry from Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal (1-hour-and-35-minute sailing time). You will exit the ferry terminal on the Patricia Bay Highway (17 South). After 29 km take Exit 7, McKenzie Avenue. Turn left onto McKenzie Ave. After about 8 km turn right onto McGill Road, the main entrance to UVic. The drive takes about 30 minutes.
Victoria International Airport to UVIC
- Victoria International Airport is located off of the Patricia Bay Highway (Highway 17), a 30- to 40-minute drive north of UVic. When driving from the airport, follow the signs to Victoria or City Centre. These will lead you onto Highway 17. Once on Highway 17, drive 29 km and take Exit 7, McKenzie Avenue. Turn left onto McKenzie Avenue. After about 8 km, turn right onto McGill Road, the main entrance to UVic. The drive takes about 30 minutes.
- The YYJ Airport Shuttle offers service from the airport to many locations in Victoria. Buses leave every half hour between 4 a.m. and midnight, 7 days a week.
Start Winning Scholarships Today
Queen's offers several Entrance Awards to exceptional students entering their first year of…Read Article >
York University is widely regarded as one of the best schools in the…Read Article >
The University of Victoria is one of Canada's leading research-intensive universities. Located on…Read Article >
The University of Guelph's software engineering program is designed to provide students with…Read Article >
The University of Calgary offers a world-class education in software engineering. Students in…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran At the University of Saskatchewan, Health…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran The School of Rehabilitation Science at…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Everything we do involves data and…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Universities provide educational programs and services…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran At Toronto Metropolitan University Business Management,…Read Article >
Written by Akim Hermoso and Matthew Tran Studying at Toronto Metropolitan University’s Faculty…Read Article >
Written by Akim Hermoso and Matthew Tran Toronto Metropolitan University’s Aerospace Engineering program…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Is the Engineering program at Waterloo…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Rotman Commerce is looking for exceptional…Read Article >
Written by Aly Tagamolila and Matthew Tran The McMaster Health Sciences Supplementary Application…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Do you want to learn how…Read Article >