McMaster Software Engineering
Matthew Tran - January 3rd, 2022
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran
At McMaster, they educate you on how to be a versatile engineer who can respond to any scenario, solve real-world issues, and prosper in today’s fast-paced, technology-based society.
Software engineering is used to address problems, manage data, develop advanced technologies, improve areas abroad, and communicate with others. Software engineers, like other engineers, know the foundations of engineering but focus instead on the design and implementation of computer systems and software.
Does the McMaster Software Engineering program sound like a perfect fit for your future goals? If so, keep on reading to find out more about this innovative program!
Why Choose McMaster Software Engineering?
Students studying software engineering at McMaster are educated as engineers with a focus on software development. McMaster’s Software Engineering programme is unique in that it gives students a firm foundation in software development for engineering applications and physical device control.
Software engineers are solely liable for their products’ usefulness, safety, and dependability.
- For example, software engineers must ensure that the system and its documentation are accurate, that the hardware design is adequate for the job, that algorithms function as expected, and that the computer meets all real-time deadlines and other performance measures.
The McMaster programme covers far more than software design as students must grasp what is happening beyond the computer, not simply the code!
- By stressing basic conceptual designs, the McMaster Software Engineering curriculum prepares students for a career in a fast-evolving profession, content that will still be helpful and applicable three decades from now.
- Students learn how to use fundamental mathematics and science (including applicable Computer Science) as well as conduct rigorous testing and simulation to verify that any system they develop will work as expected when delivered to a client.
- Although students will employ current systems in their laboratory work, their lectures highlight long-term ideas and methodologies!
First-Year Courses at McMaster Engineering
In your first year, you must take fundamental Engineering courses (a.k.a. Engineering 1), so you can branch off into the Software Engineering stream in the second year!
Some of the courses you can expect to take within your first year in McMaster Engineering include:
- General Chemistry for Engineering (CHEM 1E03)
- Engineering Mathematics (MATH 1ZA3, 1ZB3, 1ZC3)
- Waves, Electricity, and Magnetic Fields (PHYSICS 1E03)
- Introductory to Mechanics (PHYSICS 1D03)
- Integrated Cornerstone Design Projects in Engineering (ENGINEER 1P13)
- 6 units of electives
Admission Requirements for Engineering 1
You need to complete Engineering 1 in order to enter the Software Engineering program at McMaster in your second year.
Admission to Engineering 1 is dependant upon selection. The minimum average for selection consideration is in the high 80s, and applicants must complete an online assessment ****by the deadline as specified each year to qualify.
If you are an applicant from an Ontario secondary school you must meet the following minimum prerequisite requirements in order to qualify for the program:
- Completion of High School Diploma plus these four Grade 12 academic courses:
- English (English Studies 12, English 12 or English 12 First Peoples)
- Calculus (Calculus 12 or AP Calculus)
- Chemistry (Chemistry 12)
- Physics (Physics 12)
An above 87% GPA is recommended in order to be considered for the program!
McMaster Engineering Scholarships
Tuition for Engineering schools might be intimidating—the average tuition for Canadian students in the McMaster Engineering programme is approximately $12,446.06.
There is, however, some excellent news! Students attending a Level 1 Faculty of Engineering degree are eligible for over $1,000,000 in admission scholarships and research prizes from the Faculty of Engineering. To be evaluated for all qualifying rewards, just one application is necessary!
All Faculty of Engineering application-based scholarship winners will also receive a Research Experience Award valued at $6,000, the summer after the first year. Learn more here!
- Application deadline: February 12th
- Scholarships available include Dean’s Excellence Awards and Big Ideas Awards, as well as scholarships for participation in organizations like SHAD, FIRST Robotics, and DECA. Open to both domestic and international students. See full details here!
Want to secure your spot in the McMaster Software Engineering Program?
If you’re feeling overwhelmed about the admissions process and would like to know how to apply to McMaster with unlimited support, you’ve come to the right place! Take our FREE quiz to see if you qualify for GrantMe in just a few minutes.
Join The GrantMe Program
Queen's offers several Entrance Awards to exceptional students entering their first year of…Read Article >
York University is widely regarded as one of the best schools in the…Read Article >
The University of Victoria is one of Canada's leading research-intensive universities. Located on…Read Article >
The University of Guelph's software engineering program is designed to provide students with…Read Article >
The University of Calgary offers a world-class education in software engineering. Students in…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran At the University of Saskatchewan, Health…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran The School of Rehabilitation Science at…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Everything we do involves data and…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Universities provide educational programs and services…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran At Toronto Metropolitan University Business Management,…Read Article >
Written by Akim Hermoso and Matthew Tran Studying at Toronto Metropolitan University’s Faculty…Read Article >
Written by Akim Hermoso and Matthew Tran Toronto Metropolitan University’s Aerospace Engineering program…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Is the Engineering program at Waterloo…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Rotman Commerce is looking for exceptional…Read Article >
Written by Aly Tagamolila and Matthew Tran The McMaster Health Sciences Supplementary Application…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Do you want to learn how…Read Article >