UVIC Health Information Science: Overview
Matthew Tran - January 11th, 2022
Written by Lyza Tibunsay and Matthew Tran
Health Information Science is about connecting the worlds of technology and health care. UVic Health Information Science is a degree program offered by the School of Health Information Science in the Faculty of Human and Social Development.
UVic offers a four-year co-operative education program leading to the Bachelor of Science in Health Information Science that gives its students expertise in both healthcare and information technology. The program is normally full-time, but part-time entry may be possible.
- Introduction to Health Information Analysis
- Introduction to the Canadian Health Care Systems
- Programming for Healthcare
- Information Management and Technology
Why Choose Health Information Science at UVic?
If are you interested in helping transform the way healthcare uses data and want to get hands-on experience developing and managing the latest health information systems, this degree program may be fit for you!
At UVic’s School of Health Information Science, they are leaders in health information education. Students learn how to help healthcare professionals get the most out of the latest health information technology while keeping patient data secure.
Some of the possible career paths for a degree in Health Information Science are the following:
- Application analyst
- Business analyst
- Chief information officer
- Clinical informatics analyst
- Health system planner
- Information architect
- Information officer
- Program coordinator
- Program director
- Project manager
- Research assistant
- System designer
- Systems coordinator
- Technical application lead
How To Apply To UVic Health Information Science
To know how to get admitted to the University of Victoria, you may check this website. For this program’s specific requirements, check out the details below.
Admission to the School of Health Information Science is limited. Students are selected on the basis of grades. As such, aim to have excellent grades! All students upon admission to the School are required to attend a one-hour orientation seminar.
The School of Health Information Science has two entry dates for admission. The deadlines are found in Undergraduate Application Deadlines.
- Application for Admission
- Admission requirements for applicants from secondary school are presented in the Year 1 Admission Requirements: BC/Yukon Secondary School Graduate section of the Calendar.
- Recommended Admission Average: 79-83%
- Required Grade 11 Courses
- approved English 11
- Foundations of Math 11 or Pre-calculus 11
- approved science 11
- approved social studies 11/12
- Required Grade 12 Courses
- English Studies 12 or English First Peoples 12 with at least 67%
- Foundations of Math 12 or Pre-calculus 12
- two approved academic 12 courses
- English Language Proficiency You must demonstrate English language proficiency to attend UVic. Your transcripts are enough to prove proficiency if you’ve studied full-time in an academic program at the high school or post-secondary level within Canada for at least four years, and all of your instruction was in English. Learn about UVic’s English language requirement here.
To be eligible to take part in the co-op work term process, you must meet all of the conditions below:
- have completed all courses listed in the first four terms of the model program
- have a GPA of 4.0 or better
- be a student in good standing (not on probation)
- currently be enrolled in a minimum of four (4) courses
- not have any deferred exams outstanding
For questions or concerns regarding co-op eligibility, please contact the Co-op Coordinator.
Tuition & Fees
Check your tuition fees using UVic’s tuition fee calculator. This will give you a basic estimate for UVic students enrolled in full-time studies.
For the Health Information Science program, the estimate is $6000.
Your Next Steps
Want to apply to UVic Health Information Science but don’t know how to start? You’ve come to the right place! Take our FREE quiz to see if you qualify for GrantMe in just a few minutes. GrantMe will help you find extra funding for your studies and provide you with support with your UVic Health Information Science application!
Join The GrantMe Program
Queen's offers several Entrance Awards to exceptional students entering their first year of…Read Article >
York University is widely regarded as one of the best schools in the…Read Article >
The University of Victoria is one of Canada's leading research-intensive universities. Located on…Read Article >
The University of Guelph's software engineering program is designed to provide students with…Read Article >
The University of Calgary offers a world-class education in software engineering. Students in…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran At the University of Saskatchewan, Health…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran The School of Rehabilitation Science at…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Everything we do involves data and…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Universities provide educational programs and services…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran At Toronto Metropolitan University Business Management,…Read Article >
Written by Akim Hermoso and Matthew Tran Studying at Toronto Metropolitan University’s Faculty…Read Article >
Written by Akim Hermoso and Matthew Tran Toronto Metropolitan University’s Aerospace Engineering program…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Is the Engineering program at Waterloo…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Rotman Commerce is looking for exceptional…Read Article >
Written by Aly Tagamolila and Matthew Tran The McMaster Health Sciences Supplementary Application…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Do you want to learn how…Read Article >